Skip to Main Content
Ask Us: Chat, email, visit or call
Video: Four Steps to Narrow Your Research Question
The library offers a range of helpful services. All of our appointments are free of charge and confidential.
What is the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL)?
- Intentional inquiry by post-secondary practitioners into teaching and learning in higher education.
- Systematic study of teaching and learning with the public dissemination of the findings of this study (McKinney, 2006, Recommended Reading #8).
- Intention of SoTL is to improve student learning and enhance educational quality (Poole, Simmons, Land, & Gordon 2014, Recommended Reading #9).
How do I get started with SoTL?
- Identify the research question for your inquiry by considering what ‘problem’ you’d like to explore.
- Choose and align your methodology to your research question.
- Get in touch with the Research Ethics Board to discuss whether your project requires ethics approval.
- Share your findings with colleagues!
Find resources for getting started
Find key journals
Some key journal in the scholarship of teaching and learning accessible through our Library to get you started:
Find recommended reading
SoTL in Canada: Institutional Impact (Special Issue)
Special Issue: The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Canada: Institutional Impact. Summer 2016. Volume 2016, Issue 146. Pages 1–107. Issue edited by: Nicola Simmons
The scholarship of teaching: What’s the problem (Article)
Bass, R. (1999). The scholarship of teaching: What’s the problem. Inventio: Creative thinking about learning and teaching, 1(1), 1-10.
Principles of good practice in SoTL (Article)
Fenten, P. (2013). Principles of Good Practice in SoTL. Teaching and Learning Inquiry: The ISSOTL Journal, 1(1) 121-125.
Opening lines: Approaches to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (eBook)
Hutchings, P. (2000). Opening Lines: Approaches to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Carnegie Publications, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 555 Middlefield Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025.
An introduction to ethical considerations for novices to research in teaching and learning in Canada (Article)
MacLean, M. & Poole, G. (2010). An Introduction to Ethical Considerations for Novices to Research in Teaching and Learning in Canada. The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 1(2) Article 7.
Attitudinal and structural factors contributing to challenges in the work of the scholarship of teaching and learning (Article)
McKinney, K. (2006). Attitudinal and structural factors contributing to challenges in the work of the scholarship of teaching and learning. New Directions for Institutional Research, 2006(129), 37-50. doi:10.1002/ir.170
Looking for a discipline specific journal? Or a more comprehensive list of journals?
Resources to help with experiential learning