Skip to Main Content
Ask Us: Chat, email, visit or call
Video: What are Creative Commons Licenses?
The library offers a range of helpful services. All of our appointments are free of charge and confidential.
What is ProQuest Ebook Central?
- ProQuest Ebook Central provides a variety of scholarly sources from university presses and other top publishers.
ProQuest Ebook Central
Full-text eBooks in a wide range of subject areas.
Technical Requirements: Adobe Digital Editions
How do I read eBooks online?
- Once you have selected an eBook from your search results, you will be taken to a detailed record of the eBook.
- Select "Read Online"
- The eBook viewer will open.
- The control panel is on the left. You can view Book Details, Table of Contents, Annotations, and Search Within the eBook.
- Read the eBook by scrolling, or selecting a section from the Table of Contents.
- Additional features can be found in the control panel above the eBook viewer. Hover over the icon to see what each function does.
How do I search for eBooks on Ebook Central?
- Search for a title or use keywords
- Use the Advanced Search to use additional search fields and search functions
- Extra search tips:
- Use "quotation marks" to search for exact phrases.
- Separate terms with OR to find any of the words entered.
How do I download eBooks from Ebook Central to my computer?
Please note that while many eBooks can be downloaded, there are some titles that are not available for full download.
Before you can download:
- Download Adobe Digital Editions, create an Adobe ID, and authorize your computer. See the Adobe Digital Editions guide for more help with this process.
Once you have completed the above steps:
- Select "Full Download"
- You will be prompted to sign in from the University of Guelph's Sign In page. Select "Continue" for authorized access.
- Indicated the type of device you are using (Laptop, Desktop, iOS, Android, Other).
- If you have not installed Adobe Digital Editions, select "Get Adobe Digital Editions." If Adobe Digital Editions is installed, continue to the next step.
- See below to download to a mobile device.
- Select "Download Your Book"
- A file ending with ".epub" or ".acsm" will download
- Open the file. It will open in Adobe Digital Editions.
- eBooks will be checked out for:
- 21 days if there is unlimited access
- 7 days if there are limited copies
- eBooks will automatically be returned when the loan expires and there are no late fees.
It is not recommended that you download eBooks to a Public Computer. See our Adobe Digital Editions guide to find out more.