Skip to Main Content
Ask Us: Chat, email, visit or call
Handout: Study Smarter Not Harder
The library offers a range of helpful services. All of our appointments are free of charge and confidential.
What is SWOT information?
- SWOT is an acronym that stands for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- SWOT information is an analysis of a business or project to determine all factors and variables affecting its success or failure.
- SWOT information highlights both internal and external factors to an objective or goal:
- Internal factors: strengths and weaknesses
- External factors: opportunities and threats
- A SWOT analysis can be applied to a company, a product, a place, an industry, or a person.
How do I find SWOT information?
- Some databases offer published SWOT analyses for published companies. These can be useful sources but should always be evaluated. They can be incomplete, outdated or wrong.
- Search for the phrase "swot analysis" in one of the suggested tools. Searching only for SWOT may bring up false results.
- Include additional search terms that reflect the industry or market you are interested in. For example "swot analysis" AND leadership, or "swot analysis" AND engineering.
- When creating your own SWOT, consider the following:
- Strengths: Gather information about the company or organization. Company profiles and financial information can be helpful.
- Weaknesses: Understand the company or organization in context through an analysis of their performance and practices.
- Opportunities: Begin with industry information and identify trends.
- Threats: Look at the competition and environment. Are there economic conditions, political issues or regulations that affect operation?
Find SWOT Information
Business Source Complete: Business Searching Interface
A specialized business searching interface for Business Source Complete. Allows users to search by business-specific fields such as Market Research Reports, SWOT analysis or securities IDs.
Includes business magazines, academic journals and market and industry reports.
Dates of Coverage: 1971 - Current
Search or browse for company and industry information and SWOT analyses.
Dates of Coverage: Past 2 years - Current
Find financial information, government filings (SEC), annual reports and company profiles
Dates of Coverage: Current
Resources to help with research